Saturday, November 6, 2010

Running: My Poison

3 long weeks of not being able to run long distances finally came to a halt today as, together with a group of friends, we ran our long slow distance (LSD) from the D.O. Plaza Memorial Hospital in Patin-ay, Prosperidad to the foothills of Mt. Diwata in Lapag, San Francisco, Agusan del Sur, where currently the Boy Scouts of the Philippines annual Provincial Jamboree was taking place.

Developed by the the iconic Agusan leader D.O. Plaza, Lapag boasts of a pool supplied by a natural source of spring water, its average water temperature roughly around 10-15 degrees Celsius! But reaching there, we had to traverse 2 km of rough terrain, not to mention unending uphills that had us runners panting and wheezing like an asthmatic on exacerbation. 10.1 km.

And another 10 going down. I had to forgo using my VFF Bikila this time to give my Achilles tendons a break but instead I wore my rusty old NB marshmallow shoes. My ITB (Iliotibial Band) flared up at this point while we were heading downhill but the pain was manageable. The slow pace made me experiment a couple of strides that was most convenient to this aging knees.

Like my friends in dailymile who are doing their own LSDs tomorrow, I sleep tonight with a smile on my face knowing that I have found my "poison" once again.


Total distance today: 20.29 km (16 km flat, 4 km trail)
Time: 2:39
Effort: Easy as pie!

See you on the road, runners!

2 comments:

  1. im sure you were feeling like a kid when you were running doc. or better yet, a boy scout!

    nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still remember your scout law, Katol? :)

    A Scout is: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent.

    ReplyDelete